Lead Mechanical Design Engineer & Manager
A unique opportunity to build world-class consumer electronic products
reMarkable is a Norwegian tech company on a mission to help people all over the world to find focus in a distracted world. We recently confirmed our status as Norway's latest unicorn, with more than 400 employees in Oslo and more than a million devices sold worldwide. In what feels like no time, we've gone from a small startup finding its way to being one of the fastest-growing companies in Europe.
Following the successful launch of the reMarkable 2, which was named one of TIME's top 100 inventions of 2020, and the Type Folio in 2023, we've set ourselves exciting growth and product development goals for the coming years.
With a brand new campus opening in 2024, and exciting products and services in development, we need new colleagues. That's where you come in. Are you ready to join the exciting growth of a truly unique tech brand?
A reMarkable Design Department
A good design affects us more than we know. With us, it is one of the most important and substantial drivers for perceived value and customer loyalty.
The Design Departments’ mission is to create functional and exclusive experiences not only appreciated by our customers but also something that creates (everyday) magic. Therefore, we work incessantly in cross-functional teams to build a brand that emphasizes and reinforces our vision for better thinking.
About the role
As a ‘Lead Mechanical Design Engineer & Manager’, you will be a part of the Mechanical Design Department, one of the 6 subject matter departments within the Design Department.
You will lead the Development ‘DEV unit’ which is one of three units within the Mechanical Design Department, and currently consists of 6 full-time Mechanical Design Engineers with two more vacancies to be filled this year.
On a daily basis you and your unit will both lead and work on exciting product development projects, with internal cross-functional teams of dedicated and competent colleagues, external DEV partners, and our suppliers to achieve our goals. This involves solving specific functional, mechanical, and cosmetic challenges, including DFMA, CAD, prototyping and DOEs. As such you will play a key role in the Product Development Process which will help us take the design, user experience, and quality of our product to new heights.
For testing samples and prototypes to ensure the theory matches reality, we have a modest ‘Design-lab’ equipped with 3D printers, a variety of equipment, instruments, tools, and materials.
Examples of tasks and responsibilities
- Take responsibility for mechanical design developments in project settings and to provide mechanical engineering support to other disciplines.
- To help ensure that mechanical design and development is aligned with the rM’s strategic goals.
- Mechanical Design & Engineering of products, parts, and assemblies.
- 3D CAD, 2D Documentation, Strength simulations/analysis, Tolerance analysis
- Improve rM competence in manufacturing technologies and stay aware of new solutions.
- DFM (Design for Manufacturing)
- DFA (Design for Assembly)
- DFR (Design for Repair/Refurbish/Recycle & Sustainability, and also Design for Reliability)
- Mockup/Prototyping & Testing of mechanical and digital prototypes
- Support R&D projects focussed on key technologies, material science, and production technologies
- Strong focus on (Mechanical) Product Quality
- Contributing to Mechanical Product Requirements and Testing / Validation programs
Additional tasks for the responsibility of a unit lead:
- Be a leadership role model for your unit and everyone around you, we wish to build a psychologically safe and fun environment for everyone to thrive in
- Take lead building and nurturing unit domain (Subject Matter Expertise) knowledge and knowhow
- Incorporate and take part in strategic overall division goals and objectives
- Support VPs and other company resources in tasks and reach overall goals
- Management, Development, and personnel responsibilities for unit members
- Identify resource needs for unit, and recruitment for unit
- Identifies and outline phase deliverable needs and determine staffing, in collaboration with VP Mechanical Design
- Onboarding of new unit members
- Suggest and iterate on Ways of Working for the unit and the teams/projects they work in
- Take lead in building and maintaining unit culture
Who are you?
- Mechanical Design Engineering and/or Product Design/Development Degree with Engineering specialization
- Minimum ten years (relevant) work experience or five years with leadership experience
- Relevant experience with New Product Development and Mechanical Design Engineering
- Relevant experience with ‘DfX’ (DFMA, DFR, DFT, etc.)
- Relevant experience with 3D CAD modeling and digital structural analysis tools (SolidWorks and PDM are considered to be a valuable bonus)
- Relevant experience with PLM systems/tools
- Relevant experience with creating 2D production drafts with relevant GD&T
- Broad knowledge of materials and associated production processes
- Relevant experience with the development of consumer products, preferably consumer electronics (high quality) is considered a valuable advantage
- Experience with development for mass production in Asia with high-quality standards and clear & strict cost goals (preferably from a relevant field)
- Great English language skills (both written and verbal): Professional Working Proficiency
- Norwegian, Chinese, and/or Vietnamese language skills are considered to be a bonus
- Works well independently, takes responsibility and can be counted on to drive their tasks/projects forward.
- Communicates well, both their technical knowledge and their project's progress or issues.
- Thrives working on multiple projects simultaneously and shifting focus as needed in an agile way.
- Approaches their work in a structured and organised way
We do not expect you to tick off on all the requirements in this job posting, but hopefully you will learn something new and we will learn something from you.